Galaxies are the basic elements in the Universe. One of the main targets of modern astronomy is to understand galaxy formation and evolution. Deep surveys with large ground-based and space telescopes push our study from nearby Universe to the early Universe. Our study interests focus on massive galaxies with redshift around 2 at where both cosmic star formation rate and active galactic nucleus (AGN) density have been found to reach their peaks.
Deep Hubble Space Telescope (HST)/Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) images reveal that massive quiescent galaxies at z~2 are smaller than local early-type galaxies with similar stellar mass. On the other hand, the lack of compact massive galaxies at low redshift implies significant size evolution from z~2 to z~0. With CANDELS and CLASH survey data, we explore the size evolution up to redshift 4. We proposed a physical model to explain the observed size evolution. HST WFC3 imaging has also been used to investigate the host morphologies of both X-ray-selected and mid-IR selected AGNs.
We are also interested in a newly-discovered, dust-obscured galaxy population, which is called Hot DOGs. Their full SEDs have been carefully studied. We have used JCMT SCUBA2, APEX, and ALMA observations to study the dust and molecular gas content within such objects.
Dr. Lulu Fan
Team Members (2 graduate students)
Yifan Wang, Ying Gao
Main Research Grants
1. Investigating Star Formation Activities in Galaxies and Environmental Effect With the SCUSS data, NSFC, key project, Yuan 400,000 (4,000,000 in total), 2015.1-2019.12.
2. Qilu young research plan, Shandong University, Yuan 1,000,000, 2015.1-2019.12
Selected Publications in 2015-2016
1. Fan, Lulu; Han, Yunkun; Nikutta, Robert; Drouart, Guillaume; Knudsen, Kirsten K.; “Infrared Spectral Energy Distribution Decomposition of WISE-selected, Hyperluminous Hot Dust-obscured Galaxies”, Astrophysical Journal, Volume 823, 107, 2016
2. Fan, Lulu; Han, Yunkun; Fang, Guanwen; Gao, Ying; Zhang, Dandan; Jiang, Xiaoming; Wu, Qiaoqian; Yang, Jun; Li, Zhao; “The Most Luminous Heavily Obscured Quasars Have a High Merger Fraction: Morphological Study of WISE-selected Hot Dust-obscured Galaxies”; Astrophysical Journal Letters, Volume 822, L32, 2016
3. Pan, Zhizheng; Zheng, Xianzhong; Lin, Weipeng; Li, Jinrong; Wang, Jing; Fan, Lulu; Kong, Xu; “The Spatially Resolved NUV-r Color of Local Star-forming Galaxies and Clues for Quenching”; Astrophysical Journal, Volume 819, 91, 2016
4. Ma, Zhongyang; Fang, Guanwen; Kong, Xu; Fan, Lulu; “Physical properties of distant red galaxies in the COSMOS/UltraVISTA field”; Publications of the Astronomical Society of Japan, Volume 67, 9119, 2015
5. Fang, Guanwen; Ma, Zhongyang; Kong, Xu; Fan, Lulu； “Physical Properties of Compact Star-forming Galaxies at z ~ 2--3”，Astrophysical Journal, Volume 807，139，2015
6. Pan, Zhizheng; Li, Jinrong; Lin, Weipeng; Wang, Jing; Fan, Lulu; Kong, Xu;” From Outside-in to Inside-out: Galaxy Assembly Mode Depends on Stellar Mass”, Astrophysical Journal Letters, Volume 804, 42, 2015